My graduation

My graduation

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I chose Sandro Botticelli's painting, The Birth of Venus. Botticelli lived between 1444 - 1510. He was a famous Renaissance painter that enjoyed working with mythical characters. I don't believe he had a clue that the work he was doing was classified as surrealism.

Description:
This painting was done in oils. There is a woman, Venus, standing on a shell naked, while floating on water. Behind her is the horizon of the water and a grove of trees. To the left is a man and woman, Zephyrs (spiritual passion) and his lover, as they are blowing on Venus to move her towards the shore. On the right side of Venus is Horae the goddess of seasons, with a cloak to cover her.

Analysis:
The painting definitely uses the rule of thirds and balance for the composition.

Interpretation:
With Venus being naked represents birth. The characters on both sides of Venus is welcoming the birth of this goddess. Im not sure what the artist was thinking when making this. I do know at that time the Roman catholic church was being more strict about the influences of the public and this painting was spared from the town bonfire.

Judgement:
I really feel he did a great job on this painting. Like I mentioned above, I don't think he even knew he was doing a surrealism piece. It is awesome how some things just fall into place.


No comments:

Post a Comment